Tuesday 4 August 2015

Take Flight

A new month is the start of a new Eileen Hull Art with Heart Challenge and this month our theme is "Choose your own theme". The Design Team members are working with some old dies, but new to me dies, using them in old or new ways using old or new techniques.
I decided to combine Eileen Hull's Birds and Butterflies Set with the Block/Cube die. I used Andy Skinner's Mega Crackle technique on the background. Spritzing first with DecoArt Media Misters Red, Orange and Yellow, then applying a coat of Weathered Wood, allowing to dry and then applying a coat of DecoArt Crackle Paint; the cracks appear almost immediately.
I added a dimensional flower on the front following some of the ideas in Pamellia's Rose flower tutorial HERE, I used slightly thicker card as I spritzed my flower with Yellow DecoArt Media Spray, along with a few splatters of orange. I also added Remnant Rubs to a couple of the petals. Rusty wire spirals have been included behind the flower and I also added 'Birds' to the top; the 'B' is also on the Block/Cube Die, perfect for this piece.
I love the combination of layers and bright colour palette, I am trying to hold onto those summer colours even if we have not seen much summer here in the UK!
I was making the most of the sunshine and taking pictures outside, echoing the colours on my artsy piece. I also added a rose to the top of my block along with more rusty spirals.
I die cut three of the birds from the Eileen Hull Birds and Butterflies Set and spritzed each one with DecoArt Media Misters and I also included Remnant Rubs for added interest and added each bird to a piece of rusty wire.
Circles of rusty wire and birds adorn both sides of the cube, the rusty wire adds wonderful texture and the rust combines so well with the bright colour palette.
I added further coils of rusty wire to the top, standing upright like rusty stems.
I hope you can join in with our challenge this month, I really look forward to seeing what you create. Thanks so much for popping by. Tracy x x
http://www.eileenhull.com/




10 comments:

Julia Aston said...

How bright and colorful with your pretty wired birds! love the crackle on the sides of your cube! Julia xx

Pamellia said...

Oh my gosh Tracy, what a summer delight this is!! So bright and cheery and full of all the things I love about summer!! What an amazing job you did with the rose, it looks incredible! Thanks for mention, you are so sweet! Your birds are so wonderful, I love the hot summer colours and your texture on the box is awesome!! So much TLC went into this one and it really shows! hugs :)

Redanne said...

I too, love the hot colours you used on the fabulous birds and the crackle on your box is amazing! Love what you did with the beautiful flower too.. Gorgeous and inspirational, as always... Hugs, Anne xx

eileen hull said...

Tracy, love the sunny photos- this block just makes me happy! Beautiful colors and will have to cry that crackle! Thanks for sharing!

rachel said...

beautiful work Tracy - awesome crackle! brilliant xx

Diana said...

holy bright and colourful!!! i love the warmth of this piece!!! the crackle is amazing!

Unknown said...

Stunning, Tracy!! Absolutely stunning! This ATB just makes me happy!! With every turn of the ATB, I love it even more!! You know how I love your wire embellishments ;) :) Just a fabulous inspiration piece, Tracy!! XOXO-Shari

Deb said...

Wonderful Tracy, love your bright and beautiful colour palette and all the lovely crackle and rusty wire, heaven! Deb xo

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! LOVE the colors, the birds, the style! SO COOL!!!

Lou Sims said...

Wonderful cube Tracy and adore everything about it from the birds, flowers and the crackled background. Lou x