Tuesday 1 March 2016

Eileen Hull Art With Heart Challenge

I can't believe another month has passed by and we are now onto March, wow time really is passing by so quickly. Anyway I digress, a new month means the start of a new challenge for the Design Team with Eileen Hull's Art With Heart Challenge.
This month the Design Team are showcasing Sizzix Paper Leather Sheets and Inksheets which come in White, Black, Red,  Silver, Gold and Green . To use the Inksheets you need an Inksheets Transfer Pad. There is also a starter kit available HERE.  I decided to create a piece using Eileen Hull's Passport Book Die.
I began by die cutting the front and back cover and spine for the Passport Book, die cutting from the Paper Leather Sheets.
I then embossed each of the die cut pieces with Tim Holtz Keyboard Texture Fade and I then sanded the raised areas very lightly.
To highlight the raised areas and add to the aged feel I rubbed over the embossed areas with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, applying the ink directly from the inkpad.
To add further to the ageing process I spritzed each die cut piece with Walnut Stain Distress Spray Stain, mopping up the excess ink with kitchen towel and then drying with a heat tool.
I then bent the die cut pieces to add creases and then applied Gathered Twigs Distress Ink over the creased areas to add further to the leather/aged feel. I also applied Gathered Twigs Distress Ink to the edges of each piece.
I then began decorating the pages for the inside of my Passport Book. For a couple of the pages I added embossed detail using the Inksheets. I used the Tim Holtz Keyboard Texture Fade once again. I am using the BigShot Plus so I used my Platform, Adapter B, Inksheets Transfer Pad, then the Texture Fade with my book page inside with a piece of the white Inksheet on top of the card with the glossy side facing up and then the final cutting pad on top and then run through the machine to emboss.
This shows the embossing and the inksheet next to it.
I spritzed the embossed pages with Walnut Stain and Broken China Distress Spray Stains and then dabbed the excess ink up with a piece of kitchen towel. The embossed area which has the Inksheets applied will resist the ink and leave white highlights.
This is the page completed in the book, as you can see the white areas have resisted the ink.
Inksheets are also fantastic for turning your thinlits dies into stamps. Here I have used Tim Holtz Handwritten Journey Words. Again I am using the BigShot Plus so I have used my Platform, Adapter A, then the Inksheets Transfer Pad, my book page or the card you are using, a black Inksheet with glossy side facing upwards and then the thinlits die facing down and then Cutting Pad on the top and then run through the machine.
As you can see the black ink has been transferred to the page and the die now acts as if I have stamped the sentiment onto my page.
I repeated the same process with a second word, using the same Inksheet.
And the second word is now transferred to my page. The Inksheets add a further interest and use to your thinlits dies.
I also used the black Inksheets with my Texture Fade.
On this page you can see I used the 'discover' die with a white Inksheet; spritzed with Distress Spray Stains and the wording applied with the Inksheets resists the ink and shows in white.
I machine stitched my front and back covers along with the spine to add further interest and texture and I also included a Tim Holtz Baroque Frame which I painted with Titanium White, Cobalt Teal Hue and Carbon Black DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics; applying the paints with my finger and dabbing off the excess paint with kitchen towel. I also added one of Tim's Found Relative images behind the frame.
A circular piece of rusty tin wire has been added around my focal image along with some vintage pen nibs either side of my 'ADORE' sentiment stamped onto tape, which I have aged with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I also added splatters of Titanium White Fluid Acrylic.
This picture shows all the layers and texture in more detail.
Each page of the book has been sprayed with Distress Spray Stains and I have added delicate stencilling using a PaperArtsy stencil by Lin Brown; applying DecoArt Titanium White over the stencil.
A touch more stencilling to this page along with more splatters of Titanium White paint.
One of my favourite Tim Holtz stamps added to this page, coloured with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
A few touches of white paint to lift the whole design.
Inksheets detail using thinlits dies.


Thanks so much for stopping by. Tracy x x



21 comments:

Redanne said...

A great tutorial Tracy, I love the look of the leather paper and the ink sheets really do give a 'stamped' look. Love all the colours and textures in your little book and the machine stitching is such a great touch! Hugs, Anne xx

Artmadnana said...

I love this Tracy. There is so much going on in this project. These ink sheets sound fascinating. Your step by step photos and explanations are fabulous. So clearly detailed. Wonderful as always xxx

Pamellia said...

Holy cow Tracy, this is just brilliant! I love the frame on the cover, the splash of colour is just amazing against the vintage background tones! Great tutorial, so many wonderful techniques! You rock! hugs :)

A Pink said...

A fabulous project! Tracy Love how the inksheets enable you to use your dies as stamps - very clever ! Great tutorial x

SewPaperPaint said...

Absolutely OUTSTANDING! Oh my the embossing is fabulous and the color scheme and focal images just amazing! This is so very inspiring. Hugs, Autumn

Juliz Design Post said...

Wow Tracy, love love love everything about your passport book. Wonderful attention to detail and these new ink sheets look brilliant. My passport die arrived on Saturday, still to get a chance to play with it.
Julie x

eileen hull said...

Tracy this book is fantastic! You have shown us how to get so many cool techniques- and I loved that you sewed the paper leather covers on to the binding! Thanks for this great tutorial.

Deb said...

Gorgeous Tracy! Love the leather look embossed covers and thanks so much for the great tutorial on using the ink sheets, they are definitely on my wish list now! Deb xo

Pammejo said...

Fabulous mini Tracy...I am loving all the steps out and photos. Learning so much from you my friend!!!

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wow I love this! Such a great tutorial, with new-to-me products and techniques that are beautifully vintage in style and right up my alley. Lovely project - and thanks for the details! Now I have something new to try. :)

Corrie Herriman said...

Wow, wow, wow! I love this, fantastic colours, fantastic everything !
Corrie x

Donna said...

Great job Tracy! Love how your book turned out!
You jumped right in there with those ink sheets!
Fantastic!

Judy said...

Very nice project. This new paper looks amazing on your little book. Thanks for sharing how you made this.

Julia Aston said...

What an awesome book Tracy! All the details, metal, framing, inking, spritzing - I'll have to keep coming back to this post to absorb it all - especially how to use these new products - but meanwhile - I Love your finished book!! Julia xx

Jenny Marples said...

A fabulous tutorial and clever insight into the ink sheets Tracy! Love it. Jenny x

Tracy Welham said...

Fantastic Tracy! I love the contrasting elements of the sweet sentiment and the rust old wire. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Tonya said...

Awesome tutorial Tracy! I was curious on how the Ink Sheets and you explained everything perfectly!
P.S. Gorgeous mini too<3

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous album, and love how you made the cover! Just beautiful!

Diana said...

tracy this is beautiful!!! i love that you stitched it!

Lisa H said...

awesome tutorial Tracy and I just love how this turned out! It's a fabulous vintage look. =)

Jean Bullock said...

What a fabulous tutorial and project! Love it.