Tuesday 1 September 2015

Eileen Hull Art With Heart Challenge - Favourite Fall Things

It's time for our monthly challenge over at the Eileen Hull Art with Heart Challenge and this month our theme is "Favourite Fall Things". I also have some exciting news to share at the end of the post!
I love the Autumn season, particularly the colours of the changing leaves and this was my inspiration for this piece.
I began by die cutting my pieces for the Passport Book, three sets of pages, a front and back cover and the spine.
I then began by building up layers of brayered colour, beginning with DecoArt Cadmium Red Hue.
I continued this process adding one layer of colour at a time, DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic Pyrrole Orange was next and then Yellow Oxide.
When brayering use only a light touch so that all the layered colours are visible. I then added DecoArt Media Green Gold and very light touches of Burn Umber. To add definition I then applied Distress Ink Ground Espresso around the edges of each piece and the folds of the spine.
Once I was happy with the layered colours I then began to decorate. I die cut Tim Holtz Layered Leaf from the front cover to give a leaf aperture and also the die cut leaf shape. I applied Ground Espresso Distress Paint to the edges of the leaf and also added a couple of Remnant Rubs for added interest.  I used the lid from one of my DecoArt Media Pastes, applied Carbon Black DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic to the edges of the lid and then stamped the edge of the lid to the top of the front cover. I repeated this process to add smaller circles using a smaller lid. The paint was then dried with a heat tool. Each circle was painted with DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic Titanium White, allowed to dry and then coloured with Gelatos, blending the colours of the Gelatos with my finger. I added Black Gelato around the edges of the circles and then smudged with my finger; I love how the colours really pop and the Gelatos add more depth of colour to the design.
This picture shows the book fully bound; I love all the layers of colour and the black really pops against the backdrop.
I added a touch of background stamping to the leaf using Tim Holtz Ledger Script stamp and Black Archival Ink. I also stamped 'Leaf' to the top circle using a small alphabet set.
To complete the front cover I added an 'autumn' ChitChat Sticker.
I continued adding circles to the inside pages; colouring with Gelatos.
I die cut a second Layered Leaf from scrap card and then placed the leaf onto the background of the pages and then applied Magenta PanPastel around the leaf, repeating the process to add a second leaf to the page. I then drew around each leaf with a Pitt Pen and added a touch of shading around the edges with a Distress Marker. To add a further layer of interest I also applied DecoArt Modelling Paste over Tim Holtz Dot Fade stancil, which adds further texture to my design. I also added more circles but this time coloured them with PanPastels Permanent Red and Orange.
I continued with more circles on the other pages adding a sentiment which I thought was perfect for someone who adores the garden like me!
I added more texture to these pages adding more Modelling Paste over the Tim Holtz Dot Fade Stencil.
Another fabulous sentiment, perfect for a garden lover.
I will definitely be using my Gelatos again, they really do add wonderful depth of colour to a design. Eileen Hull's Passport Book really is a wonderful die and makes a perfect gift idea!

Now onto my fabulous news.....I am so thrilled that DecoArt have accepted me to be a part of their DecoArt Blogger Outreach Program and I am absolutely thrilled. I have been using the DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics and Media range for a long time now and I adore their ranges so this is such a thrill for me. Thank you DecoArt.


Thanks so much for stopping by, hope you can join in our fabulous challenge this month. Tracy x x 




20 comments:

Mary Elizabeth said...

Absolutely stunning Tracy. Just love the vibrant colors and your layers of circles and stamping. The die cut leaf on the front cover is so marvelous. I just love this project!! Congrats on the DecoArt news. they are truly lucky to have you:) -- Mary Elizabeth

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous! I love the richness of color and the shadowing you created! Fabulous and congrats on your new DT!

Artmadnana said...

Ooh fabulous Tracy. Absolutely my colours! Love the richness of the gelato circles. I adore Gelatos. Great news about DecoArt too. Well deserved.

Unknown said...

great idea and easily explained thanks Tracy congratulations on your good news

A Pink said...

Love the richness of the autumnal colours ! Tracy and ya die cut leaf with stamp detail is fab . Adding the sentiments to the innside pages is a wonderful touch .

A Pink said...

Oops! I forgot to say Congratulations too for being accepted as part of the Deco Art Blogger Outreach Program . You must be so happy . Enjoy xx

Corrie Herriman said...

Congratulations on being an outreach member Tracy ! Fantastic project ! Love the warm colours !
Corrie x

Brenda Brown said...

Utterly delightful project Tracy and congrats on your DecoArt news, that's brilliant. We will have to share techniques together xxx

hazel said...

This is stunning Tracy, the colours are gorgeous. A big congratulations on you DecoArt news.
xxx Hazel.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh WOW...this makes my eyes happy!!! LOVE the cover, love the whole things. LOVE the leaves mixed with the artsy design! Fabulous!

Julia Aston said...

What a gorgeous fall book! The colors are so bright and you achieved such depth on your images with the outlining and shading - beautiful!

Pammejo said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Tracy, I love fall and this album is breath taking, so bright and full of fall inspiration. Congrats on becoming a DecoArt Inc Blogger...love their products.

Noreen said...

That is really eye-catching! Love those gorgeous colors!

Noreen
Crafty Journal

Unknown said...

Still turning out the stunners, Tracy! Love Dx

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - the colours and the paintwork on this are completely amazing. The depth around the layers on the front is beautifully intensified by the shading. A truly fabulous Autumnal creation and a lovely way to celebrate becoming a Blogger Outreacher!
Alison xx

Candy C said...

I am totally getting into making my own books!! This little gem caught my eye. So pretty! Tracy...you really are quite a talent! :) Love your little book and all of the brilliance on the inside pages! <3 Candy

Deb said...

Gorgeous Tracy, amazing depth of colour and love how you used both the positive and the negative of the leaf on the cover. Congratulations on your appointment to the Deco Art blogger outreach program! Deb xo

Marjie Kemper said...

Tracy, this is positively stunning. Love the rich colors and what you've done with the dies. Off to pin to enjoy another day.

PS - congrats on DecoArt!

Jenny Marples said...

This is one jaw-dropppingly amazing passport book Tracy!!! I love the colours, the leaves and the circles throughout. Jenny x

Diana said...

I love everything about this little book!! the pops of colour make me happy!