Friday 3 June 2016

A Vintage Journey - Texture

Welcome to a new challenge with A Vintage Journey. This month our challenge is "Embossing Pastes/Textures" hosted by Astrid.

This is what Astrid had to say about her challenge:

"Use any kind of texture paste (home made, crackle, coloured or plain) on your projects. There is an endless variety available, so play, have fun and apply it to your heart's content. Use it through stencils, randomly or in whatever way you want, but remember it should be in one of the vintage; shabby; mixed media; art journalling; industrial or steampunk styles that we favour. Put on your mixed media hat and create some magic! " 

Once I saw Astrid's challenge I knew I wanted to decorate a piece of mdf but did not really have anything in mind, not until I found this mdf snowman that is!
1. Apply Texture Paste over your substrate; I applied using an old credit/store card to apply varying thickness in texture.
2 Dry the Texture Paste lightly with a heat tool.
3 Spritz a text stamp ( in this case Tim Holtz Ledger Script stamp) with water.
4 Press the stamply very lightly into the texture paste. Repeat these four steps to cover the whole substrate with stamping.
1 Apply texture paste to the hat along with two wooden trees, which I pressed into the wet Texture Paste.
2 Add a wooden bird house and bird for added interest; adding texture paste randomly to the birdhouse.
3 Die cut two snowflakes from white card using Tim Holtz Sizzix Die and then press each one into the texture paste and then allow to dry completely.
3 Paint the first layer of paint which in this case is DecoArt Prussian Blue Hue.
4 Allow the first layer of paint to dry or dry with a heat tool.
I added layers of dry brushing; a technique from Andy Skinner, diluting the Prussian Blue Hue each time I dry brushed; adding DecoArt Media Tinting Base to the blue to lighten each time.
I added DecoArt SnowWriter to the base of my snowman and to the rim of the hat along with touches of snow randomly added to some of the dimensional pieces. I also added small wooden trees to the base which I also painted with DecoArt Media Prussian Blue Hue. I also included some twigs from my garden for added texture and interest along with some mini pine cones. A ChitChat sticker has also been added.
To add further to the layers and texture I also included one coat of Crackle Glaze which I applied randomly to my work and then applied Raw Umber Antiquing Cream.
I added rusty buttons which I painted with touches of DecoArt Media Burnt Umber Fluid Acrylic along with touches of Carbon Black, dried with my heat tool and then added touches of Quinacridone Gold, applying with my finger. I then added touches of the snow to the edges. I also applied touches of the snow to the snowflakes again applying with my finger.
The nose was given the same treatment as the buttons and I added two mini pine cones to the top of his hat and added natural twine around his neck.
I love how all the layers are visible along with all the added texture.

Our sponsor this month is Country View Crafts who are offering a £20 Gift Voucher to the randomly drawn winner. I hope you will create a little texture of your own this month and join in our challenge!

Thanks so much for stopping by. Tracy x x


18 comments:

Julia Aston said...

Love your textured blue snowman with his snowy hat rim and stand Tracy - won't he look grand on a mantel or shelf! Julia xx

Monika Gulyas said...

Wow, this snowman is awesome!!! I love the different textures on your snowman and the technique to stamp in the texture paste!

Brenda Brown said...

Oh my Tracy you have textured and crackled this fabulous snowman brilliantly. I love the stamping into the paste, the added inclusions for interest and the dry brushing technique which brings it alive. Christmas in June looks fantastic. Have a great weekend xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh Tracy I loved this wonderful snowman from the moment I clapped eyes on him! The Andy techniques look brilliant, the stamping into the paste gives such a super effects, - as do the other textures, and the dry brushing just adds that wonderful lift that brings it all to life. The fur around his hat is the perfect finishing touch!

Deb said...

So wonderful Tracy, love the script stamping into the gesso and the fabulous colours you used, a wonderful wintery creation celebrating texture pastes! Thanks for sharing it, Deb xo

Pamellia said...

Wow Tracy, this is amazing! I love the technique you used for your background texture! Great colours for a snowman. Love his frosty hat, so cool! hugs :)

Words and Pictures said...

I adore your snowman - the stamping into the paste has worked brilliantly to give some really fabulous texture, and I just love the colour tones, the touch of crackle and the frosty dusting of drybrushed white. Fantastic make!
Alison x

Tracy Welham said...

An awesome creation! Love the way you have added texture using the stamp. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Juliz Design Post said...

Love love love your Snowman Tracy, he is just wonderful in every way.
Have a lovely weekend, Julie x

Mrs.B said...

This is fabulous Tracy, love all the different textures and details, great dry brushing with white to create such a frosty colour.
Avril x

Jenny Marples said...

Well I hope this gets pride of place when the festive season arrives Tracy as it's BRILLIANT! I love the choice of textures/stamping and that deep blue colour against the 'snow'. LOVE it! xx

A Pink said...

e still my beating heart ! I have a soft spot for snowmen Tracy but this is one of that has really stole my heart . I absolutely LOVE everything about him and imho every home needs one of these to display during the festive season - heck I'd leave him out all year and ignore the bad luck superstition .
hope you have a lovely weekend
hugs x

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy, this FAB!!..I love ♥ him. xx

Inkypinkycraft said...

wonderful textures and so loving the snow!! x

Barbara said...

Wonderful work !! thanks for the tutorial, I want to try this technique with stamp and Texture paste!!! Barbara

Nikki Acton said...

Love this Tracy! Why not a snowman in June I say! I dont think I have ever stamped in texture paste - so effective if I get it like you, so will be giving that a try xx

Chris said...

So gorgeous Tracy and I absolutely love the colours and textures! xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

Your snowman made me smile Tracey, but he is GORGEOUS! I love the stamping into the texture paste and the wonderful effect that gives when painted. Gorgeous textures and colours and a wonderful piece! So sorry to be so late in visiting. Jennie x