Wednesday 2 March 2011

OWL BOOK COVER

Last night before going to sleep I was looking for a scrap of paper to write down an idea for a card, this is a frequent occurence in our house whenever I think of something to create.  I quickly scribble it down on any scrap of paper I can find and more often than not that piece of paper is thrown in the bin when I tidy everything away.  Well today I decided I would make a little book to write my ideas in, which I should have created a long time ago to save repeating the routine of writing it down and then throwing it away.  I decided to create a book that would incorporate the challenges over at Simon Says Stamp and Show some EPHEMERA and the Compendium of Curiosities challenge DIMENSIONAL COLLAGE FRAGMENTS, Page 63 of the book.
The ornate owl stamp was a gift from my friend Sue a while ago and I decided would be perfect for my book. The owl has been stamped onto fabric with archival ink and machine stitched around the edges.  'OWL' has been stamped to two corners of the panel.  My fragment has a piece of film strip, postcard and the letter 'O' from Tim's Lost and Found Paper Stash.  I love the little owl embellishment I found in my craft goodies, the perfect finishing touch I feel for the fragment.
The book itself has been created from Grungepaper which I have covered with 7 Gypsies Paddington paper and again machine stitched around the edges.
I have hand sewn black and white buttons to the owl's body and added small snaps for his eyes.  Three black and white buttons complete the front cover.
Not only did I add ephemera to my fragment at the front I also added some to the inside cover of my book, including postcards and tickets, again machine stitched into place.  Black lace has been added to complete the look.
Now I have no excuse my ideas will all be in one place, all I need now are the ideas LOL.  Thanks for stopping by, Tracy x x

23 comments:

Helen said...

What a beautiful book - love the owl, he's lovely! Great idea, something I should do too.

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

What a great idea to have a 'idea' book, I also write on scraps of paper, only to lose them!!
Love all the elements you have used to alter your fabby lil book, esp. the fragment, and the owl stamped on fabric :)

Jan x

Minxy said...

WOW, totally unique, and adorable too :D

Meggymay said...

Love your owl stamped on fabric for the cover for your ideas book. I think I could do with making one of these as I use paper scraps to remind me of things to do.

Carol Q said...

Love this Tracy. Very original and inspirational

Zue said...

What an incredible creation. He is a very important-looking owl, and looks intelligent
enough to appear when you call.
It is a wonderful piece of art Tracy!!
What a good idea to have one place to write down your ideas.
Sue xx

flutterbycrafter said...

Wow, fantastic, absolutely love it to bits xx

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Wonderful book Tracy and that owl looks so graceful and elegant! Beautiful creation and excellent idea to store all your creative thoughts in ;)) Hugs, Joanna x

MarleneMAZ said...

Love the book and your owl is so cute!

Netty said...

Terrific book cover and inside cover, love this. I use one of these, trouble is I leave scraps of paper inside mine.....lol Annette x

cheryl said...

oh this is just stunning,hun I too am trying to get a book made,its as far as i get just thinking he he but just adore this hun,hugs cherylx

Gez Butterworth said...

Gorgeous book Tracy. Truly original design. Have fun filling it..xx

Sarah Anderson said...

that owl embellie is just GoRGeouS! and he's perfect for this stunningly decorated book :)

Suzanne C said...

This is fabulous. Loved seeing all the details! Thanks for sharing the different angles!

Lynn Stevens said...

What a great idea!!!To make a book for your Ideas!! Love your owl theme going on. all those sweet buttons and the inside with Soar, how perfect. your fragment and charm are way cool!
and best of all. you'll have something to keep all those ideas forever!!!
hugs Lynn

Sarah said...

Very original and something to be both used and cherished - great idea!!!


Sarah (at 6 - sometimes sasa!)
www.blueboxbabe.blogspot.com

Sandy said...

Wow Tracy this is outstanding.
Really stunning work. I love it.

Have a lovely weekend my dear friend.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Great charm and image!! I like the simple colors too - the patterns are nice and bold. The Soar tickets are perfect also!!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!

-Sarah

Barb Cady said...

Now that is one beautiful book! I love the owl, and the fragments are just enough. Brilliant!

Lynne Phelps said...

Gorgeous! No problem about ideas, just looking at this amazing book will inspire them! Lovely work. I love the way stamping the word "owl" twice gives the fabric panel a playing card look, and that fragment is fabby! Plus you know how I LOVE text backgrounds! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh Tracy this little book is beautiful. S x

Terry said...

Really like your book and the charms are great....love the colors.....Thank you for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp and Show DT. Hugs Terry

Linda Ledbetter said...

Oh, it's a beautiful OWL! I can't get enough owls lately, and this is one of the most beautiful I've seen. Your Fragment collage is wonderful and compliments that wise winged friend perfectly. You make such wonderful books, Tracy, you really have a gift for it. I always love seeing what you create!