Friday 7 April 2017

The Magic of Three - A Vintage Journey Challenge

A new month and a new challenge from A Vintage Journey. Our host this month is the lovely Annie and here is what she had to say about the challenge.

"It is said that using three of something adds more interest and power whether it is a conversation, art or numbers. Let us see you use three of something in your challenge project (numbers, techniques, stamps, colours, words, products - the list is endless!) Let us know your magic 3 components and ensure your project is in our vintage; shabby; mixed media; art journaling; industrial, timeworn or steampunk styles that we favour".

I opted for a journal page, something I do not do much of but I thoroughly enjoyed the process which I have detailed below.
I added Texture Paste over Tim Holtz Nordic Stencil across the central area of the pages.
 I added Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide Ink to a piece of acetate and then spritzed with water.
I pressed the acetate, inked side down onto the pages and smooshed the ink across the background.
I spritzed the ink with water and allowed it to run and puddle on the page.
I then dried my ink with a heat tool.
I repeated the same process with Broken China Distress Oxide Ink onto acetate.
Smooshed the ink across the page with my fingers.
Spritzed the ink further and then dried with a heat tool.
I used Tim Holtz Heartfelt Sizzix Die but used the apertures, coloured with Broken China Distress Oxide Ink, blending the ink with an ink blending tool and then spritzed the ink with water. Dry the ink with a heat tool.
Three die cut hearts were coloured with Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide Ink. I tore one heart and stapled together with Tim's Tiny Attacher.
I love adding items in threes, I love the composition it gives. I began by adding three strips of Tim Holtz Chatter Design Tape and also included a piece of kitchen towel that was used for my mop ups.
I added three strips of card, coloured with Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide Ink and I also included a Tim Holtz Transparent Tile. March 23 has also been added as this was the date my mum passed away only a week ago, as I write this post.
I also added a painty circle around my focal pieces to act as a spotlight to the design.
I added more strips of tape, in blocks of three and added my hearts to the page.
I added a sentiment 'a corner of your heart' from Tim's Idea-ology which seemed perfect for this page.
I love leaving some white space, so I did not cover every area of the pages. I also added painted circles to my pages, again in clusters of three.
Thanks so much for stopping by, hope you enjoyed the step by steps.

Our sponsor this month is Emerald Creek Craft Supplies,who are offering a gift certificate to one randomly drawn winner.



Tracy x x 

21 comments:

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful blues and greens on your lovely page Tracy! love all the numbers incorporated and groupings of 3's! A wonderful journal spread! Julia xx

Jenny Marples said...

Loving this whole design, the clever use of that transparent tile and that you've even included your mop up tissue! xx

Yvonne Garner said...

First and most importantly, my sincere sympathy in the loss of your mum so recently. May treasured memories, in time, help mend your heart. Your journal pages are a work of art. Hugs, Yvonne

Lucy said...

What a beautiful design based on 3s. A lovely tribute to your mom.

Helen said...

fantastic page!

Juls said...

Love it xx

froebelsternchen said...

I love this ADORABLE pages! Amazing!

oxo
Susi
ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE

Brenda Brown said...

Tracy this is just delightful Tracy, the colours, the elements you have used and the fabulous composition are just magical xxx

A Pink said...

LOVE your journal pages Tracy - your heart on the page - the kind of journalling I love.
Big hugs x

S@ndy Diller said...

Love how your pages came together. Always fun to create in the journal and you have done it so well. Hugs, Sandy

Words and Pictures said...

Lovely composition, making such great use of the white space, and allowing a sense of weight and depth to develop as the eye travels across the spread. Beautiful, Tracy.
Hugs,
Alison xx

Redanne said...

A wonderful page Tracy, gorgeous colour tones and I just love how you used the mop up on your design! Hugs, Anne xx

sarascloset said...

Gorgeous colors and design on your journal pages, Tracy! I love the circles and adding the date of your Mom passing. What a lovely tribute to her! Sending hugs!

Jackie PN said...

Beautiful Tracy! Love the colors you chose! and guess what? 3 is my favorite number! ")
Looking forward to learning more of your surprise!! heehee
hugs,Jackie

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous composition on your journal spread, love the composition you created with all those different elements. Love the soft effect of the Oxides on the acetate, it makes for a super background.

Marci said...

A beautiful page. I am sorry about the loss of your Mom.

Nikki Acton said...

Stunning creation Tracy - wonderful composition and techniques as always. Three hearts for your mum - beautiful, as I am sure she was. xxx

Deb said...

This is so wonderful Tracy, adore the smooshed Oxides and your amazing use of white space in this fabulous composition. A really beautiful study of the Magic of 3, thank you so much for sharing it, Deb xo

Jennie Atkinson said...

Such a stunning design Tracy and a fabulous mix of colours. I love the three hearts ....... so beautiful, and such a lovely dedication. Jennie x

Annie said...

I absolutely adore your stunning composition for this month's challenge theme xx great colour combination and amazing trios to view. Apologies for being so late visiting

Sending my best wishes
Annie xx

Barbara said...

Adorable pages! As always your design is perfect and beautiful! love the colors! barbara