Thursday 30 July 2015

Play in the rain with me

I have revisited an old technique today which I have not used in a long time, the BOKEH technique.
I have created a duo of cards today showcasing the fabulous Springtime stamp set from Artistic Outpost. I looked on-line to check exactly what is meant by the Bokeh Effect and this is the explantion that was given:

Bokeh is the official name for a specific photography effect. The name actually comes from the Japanese word for blur or haze: boke. It also comes from the Japanese word for blur quality: boke-aji. All you need to know is that bokeh is the aesthetic quality of out-of-focus blur in a photograph.
I began both cards by applying Distress Inks to the background. The one on the left had two colours applied to a non-stick craft sheet, Spiced Marmalade and Worn Lipstick Distress Inks, which I then spritzed with water and I then mopped up the beads of ink. The second card was blended with Broken China Distress Ink.
Once I had achieved the desired depth of colour I then created my own template, die cutting several different sized circles from white card. I then placed the template onto the card and applied Glacier White pigment ink over the stencil, one circle at a time., moving the template around the card, applying ink through three different sized circles and overlapping the circes in some areas. I then heat dried the ink with a heat tool.
I also applied more Glacier White ink to some of the circles to achieve different depths of the same ink. To add further interest I also added some random machine stitching and the perfect sentiment from the Springtime stamp set.
I repeated the same technique on my second card  and stamped two of the sentiments into the inked circles.
Once again I added random machine stitching for added interest.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Tracy x x 

 


12 comments:

Cath said...

I love this Tracy....I think I may have to give this a go. Thanks for the inspiration xxxx

A Pink said...

Lovely cards ! Tracy n a very impressive technique - Might have to try that one out sometime . Do love that stamp and sentiments . x

Pamellia said...

Wow Tracy, amazing job creating a Bokeh effect. I have tried a couple techniques but nothing turned out as wonderful as these! Love the different colours you used, both are so beautiful! hugs :)

Redanne said...

I just love the effect you achieved using the Glacier White ink, both cards are absolutely stunning. It is a beautiful stamp set! Anne xx

Words and Pictures said...

Beautiful Bokeh - the Glacier White has really done the trick, and I love the inky splatters on the pink/orange version - lovely delicate work.
Alison xx

Julia Aston said...

what a great effect! love the circles and fun stitching!

Anonymous said...

This technique is perfection for your stamp choice. Just so very beautiful, subtle but with such impact.
Wishes
Lynne

rachel said...

a beautiful quote Tracy - love these xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Fantastic cards Tracy! Love the various color palettes and whimsical stitching!

Unknown said...

Tracy, I LOVE these cards!! I love the Bokeh technique and just don't do it enough myself!! I even wrote an article about it for Paper Crafter's Library when I was writing for them!!
(here's the link just in case you wanna see---http://blog.papercrafterslibrary.com/trend-watch-bokeh-in-stamping/ )
I love the Bokeh behind the kids--it highlights them perfectly!!
Happy Friday!! XOXO-Shari

hazel said...

Beautiful cards Tracy, I love the effect of the technique that you've used.
xxx Hazel.

Deb said...

That is so effective Tracy, thanks for your great tutorial on how you achieved your bokeh look, I love it!