Friday 1 September 2017

A Vintage Journey Challenge - Altered Art

Welcome, today sees the start of a new challenge over at A Vintage Journey and this month our host is the lovely Alison who had this to say about her challenge:

"We'd llike you to get creative with recycled objects in a vintage; shabby, mixed media; art journalling; industrial, timeworn or steampunk style, . Turn something unloved and unwanted into a work of art. Try some repurposing - make something new out of something old, or incorporate an unwanted object into your artwork. Think tin cans and jars, old bottles, toothbrushes - the more inventive the better"

Our sponsor this month is Simon Says Stamp who are offering a $25 Gift Voucher for one randomly drawn winner.

I decided to alter a sardine tin which I had saved for a just in case moment and this was one of those moments!
I cleaned the sardine tin inside and out and then sanded the outside of the tin.
I opted to colour the sardine tin with Alcohol Inks Ginger and Rust.
I have to say once I had finished colouring the tin my hands were absolutely covered in ink!
I cut a piece of thick card to fit the inside of the tin and then covered the card with vintage paper from my collection which I then coloured with Vintage Photo Distress Oxide Ink and then spritzed with water. I applied the ink with an Ink Blending Tool.
I dried the card and then added creases here and there to age further.
I added further detail to the background using Tim Holtz Crossed Layering Stencil and Black Soot Distress Oxide Ink. I then spritzed the stencilling with water and allowed the water to sit for a few moments and then dried with a heat tool.
I attached some chicken wire using my Tiny Attacher.
I die cut six ravens using the Tim Holtz Feathers and Ravens die, cut from white card.
I adhered all the Ravens together to create one dimensional Raven.
I added the decorated card panel to the inside of the tin and added a Tim Holtz Baseboard behind for added interest.
I painted the Raven with Black Paint and highligted the embossed areas with a touch of wax. I also added house numbers, coloured with Alcohol Inks to the inside of the tin.
I gave the Raven a hat and also added a Remnant Rub to his body. I also included two small bottles to the inside of the tin which were also coloured with Alcohol Inks and Remnant Rubs also added.
Skulls were added to the outside of the tin sitting on a little cake stand painted with black paint. One skull has been added to a small bottle.
These small sardine tins make perfect shadow boxes.
I had some plastic halloween fence type pieces which I also added to the stand.
 I added a quote chip to the top of my piece along with three skull beads.
Thanks so much for stopping by and I look forward to seeing your creations this month.

Thank you to Simon Says Stamp, our sponsor this month.


Tracy
xx





17 comments:

simo said...

This project is absolutely stunning Tracy!!! From a sardines tin to a little Halloween gem...hugs xxx Simona

S@ndy Diller said...

Just fabulous as always Tracy. Love everything about this. I have been saving some sardine tins but never used them. You have inspired me. great project. Hugs, S@ndy xx

Astrid Maclean said...

So many clever elements to this super Halloween project Tracy, never has a humble tin looked so good. Fabulous alteration for this wonderful challenge!

Brenda Brown said...

Love your altered sardine Tim and all the wonderful elements and details you added to complete the alteration especially the raven with his hat on xxx

Redanne said...

I am completely and totally in love with your project Tracy... the rusty tin is superb, I love the added chicken wire, the fabulous skulls, the rusty numbers and of course, the raven with his special hat. Clever and gorgeous, love this SO much!! Hugs, Anne xx

Words and Pictures said...

I started out with a fishy tin, and I'm so glad I changed direction - I could never have equalled this! Your rusty spooky creation is just fantastic, Tracy. Love your sturdy crow, and the skulls piled up over the potion bottles. A fabulous piece of Halloween decor.
Alison x

Annie said...

What an amazing alteration Tracy xx Wonderful details on your tin and I just love the background and that amazing raven xx

TFS for the great step by step

Have a lovely weekend
Annie xx

Jackie PN said...

Tracy!! This is so freaking cool!! I just love everything about it- especially that you recycled a sardine can!! Perfect!!
You really are a talent my dear! Thanks so much for sharing your steps- next time, take a photo of those inky hands! heehee
Jackie xo

Jennie Atkinson said...

Absolutely amazing Tracy! So many wonderful details and very difficult to see that it started off with a Sardine tin! Fabulous altered art ! Jennie x

froebelsternchen said...

This is FANTASTIC ! I amthrilled about your AMAZING project!

Julia Aston said...

This is just AWESOME Tracy! I keep looking at it - what a perfectly balanced design - love that chicken wire inside - all the little bottles - the big and little skulls (the little ones faces make me laugh!) and all topped on a little cake stand - SO creative and great use of a sardine tin!! Julia xx

Lucy said...

I have been saving sardine cans for some unknown future project. You really have to wash them well so they won't be stinky, don't you? Your halloween is seriously inspiring. Thank you, Tracy. I love it.

A Pink said...

This is a fantastic piece of halloween home decor! Tracy. A great idea to use an old sardine can as a mini shadow box/ tin to house all those wonderful halloweeny bits. A piece of art with a wicked personality - love it ! x

sarascloset said...

You could tip me over with a feather right now, Tracy! I absolutely LOVE your altered artwork, especially the use of that raven! Now I just have to have that die! Squealing here! Hugs!

Deb said...

What a brilliant transformation Tracy, adore your altered sardine tin! You would never know what this amazing creation started out life as, fabulous Halloween embellishments (adore the raven!) and love the addition of the chicken wire inside and those three skulls up top, makes me think of MacBeth's three witches! Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

Nikki Acton said...

Amazing! Sorry I am late visiting but it was well worth the wait!! I am stunned how you come up with these ideas - a sardine can!! What a transformation... as always I love all the details - the Raven hat and the little bottles - just genius xxx

Candy C said...

Tracy, this piece is so awesome! I adore Halloween. You've done such a beautiful job in creating this very special piece. LOVE the crow with the witch hat. Love the sardine tin and how you have beautifully transformed it. Fabulous make!