Friday 28 July 2017

Fragments

I have been thinking about this piece for a while and yesterday I just had to make a start!
I called it fragments as I was aiming for fragments of pieces that looked embedded into a framed piece and I am quite pleased with the results and I really enjoyed making this piece.
I began by painting one of Tim Holtz Vignette boxes with Raw Umber DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic and then drying with my heat tool.
I then painted with a generous top coat of DecoArt Media Crackle Paint. Do not work the paint too much, use a soft brush and lightly paint a good even coat over the box and allow to dry naturally.
Whilst the Crackle Paint was still wet I pressed some clay pieces into the Paint.
I added all my clay pieces and painted over some of the edges with the Crackle Paint so that they blended into the background.
I then added a wash of Raw Umber DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic over the crackle areas, wiping away any excess paint with a damp baby wipe.
Before I started to add my layers of colour I did add some DecoArt Media Texture Sand Paste around the edges of my clay pieces to add further texture. I applied layers with my fingers and allowed it to dry completely and then began to layer my colours first with a touch of DecoArt Media Cobalt Teal Hue, applying the paint wth a light touch and removing any excess paint with a damp baby wipe.
I then began to add further layers of colour, adding touches of Raw Umber and Quinacridone Gold using a fine brush and a light touch with the brush to add layers lightly and building them up slowly to achieve the look I was after. If I added too much paint then I simply wiped away with a baby wipe.
I needed to darken some of the edges a little so added touches of Paynes Grey, again adding light layers and building up as I moved around my frame. I also added some of Tim's Typography for added dimension. My clay was a little dry at times and cracked when I placed into my moulds but I liked that as it added to the aged feel of my piece.
I continued to add layers of Quinacridone Gold and Paynes Grey to darken and added some circlular pieces of rusty tin wire for added texture.
I have a vintage book that had numbers inside, which I tore and added a few touches to the background. I aged the papers with a wash of Raw Umber Fluid Acrylic. I adore the DecoArt Media Crackle Paint, so simple to use and the cracks are amazing.
This picture shows all the layers and fantastic texture which I love.
This is one of those pieces that I could not leave alone I spent hours adding and taking away colour until I was happy with the finish.
The cracks in some of the clay really add to that aged feel.
I sanded the edges of my frame to add further to the aged feel.
I love the dimension the clay fragments give to my piece.
Thanks so much for stopping by, hope you enjoyed reading about this piece as much as I enjoyed creating it.

Have a lovely weekend. Tracy xx

14 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

This is amazing - a wonderful project !

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow Tracy, what an incredible project, - a true piece of art and a great title for the piece too, the crackle, colours and the way you have embedded the fragments behind your signature circular elements looks amazing!!

Redanne said...

This is such a beautiful piece of art Tracy, I love how you embedded the fragments and the Cobalt Teal and Quin Gold along with the crackle paint give a wonderfully aged appearance to the piece. I love this!!! Hugs, Anne xx

Brenda Brown said...

Love your fragments Tracy, the embedded clay pieces, crackle and fabulous colouring give this a wonderful shabby aged feel. A brilliant conceived idea and finished project. Have a great weekend xxx

Kaz Hall said...

Ooo Clever, really clever! Love the addition of the clay, really cool!

Words and Pictures said...

Beautiful, atmospheric artwork, Tracy.
Alison x

Paula Whittaker said...

Simply stunning

Corrie Herriman said...

Amazing Tracy ! xxx

Unknown said...

Oml i have all those products except a nice mould for faces or a vignette box ..this is unbeleivable tracy i am in love with all the decoart products too enjoy your weekend hunny xx

hazel said...

This is an amazing piece Tracy.
xxx Hazel.

Sue said...

This is gorgeous Tracy, it's a fabulous idea, and so well carried out xx

Annie said...

wow!!!!! I love this Tracy ....the artefacts look brilliant and the overall piece is aged so well. Fabulous !!

Sending huge hugs Annie xx

A Pink said...

Great projec ! Tracy Love those bleeds of rust and all the texture . I'll be back later to catch up on all your posts but got to head out right now .
hugs x

Julia Aston said...

This is wonderful Tracy! LOVE those clay pieces! Julia xx