Friday 3 February 2017

Count Your Blessings

Welcome to a new challenge for A Vintage Journey and this month Jennie is our host and our challenge this month is "words that are special". This is what Jennie had to say about her challenge.

"We often use words for cardmaking, scrapbooking, journaling, layering backgrounds, stamping, collage, in mixed media work, on our tags … in fact words are often an integral part of our design processes for many of our projects. This month show us words that are important or special to you and how you incorporate them in your vintage; shabby; mixed-media; art journaling; industrial or steampunk art".

I opted for the words 'count your blessings' which I do everyday and I think it's something we should all appreciate.
I began with a piece of white card, placed the Tim Holtz Numbered Layering Stencil onto the card and then applied DecoArt Media Crackle Paste over the stencil using a palette knife.
I removed the stencil and allowed the Paste to dry completely.
Distress Paints Evergreen Bough and Twisted Citron were applied to a non-stick craft sheet, spritzed with water and then moped up with the card. I also spritzed water directly onto the card to make the colours run and blend further.
I dried each layer of colour and then repeated the same process until I was happy with the coverage and depth.
To give more depth I applied Peacock Feathers Distress Crayon around the edges of each number and smudged with my finger.
I used an alphabet set of stamps to add the sentiment 'count your blessings' and edged each piece with Evergreen Bough Distress Ink.
I added touches of White Fire Treasure Gold Wax to each of the numbers.
To add a touch of dimension I also added a watch rim which I also coloured with Distress Paints, applied with a finger. I also included a Tim Holtz Salvaged Doll along with a Numbered Brad for added interest and to echo the numbers in the background.
Splatters of Titanium White Fluid Acrylic have been added to the background to lift the design.
For added texture I have also included cotton threads behind the watch rim.
Our sponsor this month is Country View Crafts who are offering a randomly drawn winner a £20 gift voucher.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Tracy x

23 comments:

Helen said...

Gorgeous work Tracy! Love it.

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous Tracy and a great step by step. Love how the distress paint background turned out. The way you finished it looks superr too!

Jenny Marples said...

Totally stunning Tracy! I love the way the paints have really picked out that crackle and reacted together to form a beautiful mottled background xx

sarascloset said...

Amazing crackle with gorgeous painty background on this simple yet fabulous design! I'm having a little giggle over your ring there...you'll see this on a future project I made for AVJ. The black threads and crisp white splatter add so much punch to this! Perfectly inspiring!

Nikki Acton said...

Great choice of words and wonderful design Tracy - love your style and the way you embellish your projects x

Redanne said...

I love everything about this Tracy, the gorgeous colours, great words, the design, the crackling - the #2 looks like mosaic, love that. The threads are a lovely touch too! Hugs, Anne xx

Brenda Brown said...

Beautifully layered with colour and textures and a fabulous saying to hold on to. Love this piece Tracy xxx

Tracy Welham said...

Fantastic piece, and it's true we should count our blessings. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Corrie Herriman said...

This is absolutely fabulous Tracy ! Love everything about it !
Corrie x

Jennie Atkinson said...

Gorgeous colours - three of my favourites. And such a wonderful background for those great words. A great project for the challenge theme. Have a great weekend x

Unknown said...

Oh oh - love those YUMMY numbers hidden in the background - just enough to make this creatively fabulous with the Blessings sentiment. Luscious colors too. SUPER neat Tracy! Xj.

A Pink said...

Fabulous! Tracy. Lush colours and crackle and wise words .
hugs x

Deb said...

Fabulous colours and textures and love your sentiment Tracy, thank you for the reminder! Deb xo

Julia Aston said...

Wonderful crackle on your stenciled numbers Tracy! Using your trademark greens again! Love the white splatter and the added texture with the black thread! Julia xx

hazel said...

I love everything about your card Tracy - it's wonderful.
xxx Hazel.

Pamellia said...

Amazing project Tracy! I just love your blend of yellows, blues and greens, how fresh and cheerful! The number background is fantastic, so full of texture. Fabulous focal piece, an amazing design!! have a wonderful week, hugs :)

Juliz Design Post said...

Great tutorial and fabulous project, I wish I was braver to work with colours like this as they are gorgeous together.
Julie x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful words and I adore the crackle and your colour choice! Trying to keep up with visits and failing miserably, hope to catch up soon! Chrisx

Annie said...

Hi Tracy.....love the colour combo and textures in your stunning card as well as those gorgeous embellishments. The quote is certainly one we should al remember

TFS and hugs
Annie x

Dortesjs said...

great work, so vibriant and cool ;O))

Carol said...

Love all the textures and layer - YUMMY xx

Words and Pictures said...

Love those vivid greens over the crackle, and the quirky embellishing is such fun.
Alison x

Barbara said...

Tracy... fab as always! love this color, love your project, love the crackle effect! You create always wonderful piece of art!I'm sorry I'm not able to comment on each of your blog posts, they are all beautiful! ! Thanks for your kind words on my blog and your support! love Barbara