Friday 4 December 2015

A Vintage Journey Challenge - Vintage Christmas

Welcome to a new challenge with A Vintage Journey. This month our host is Annie and her challenge is:

"Use your dies, stamps, rub ons- anything you choose to create a Vintage Christmas card, home decor piece or gift for someone special".

This is how I was inspired by Annie's challenge theme:
I decided to opt for vintage colours this time around using Vintage Photo and Tarnished Brass Distress Paints throughout.
I began by spritzing my white card lightly with water and then adding small amount of Vintage Photo Distress Paint to a non-stick craft sheet and rolling my brayer through the paint, removing the excess paint before braying over my card. I then used a light touch to brayer the paint over the white card.
I then repeated the same process with Tarnished Brass Distress Paint which added a lovely shimmer to the backdrop. I then dried the paint with my heat tool.
I placed Tim Holtz Stars Layering Stencil onto the background and then applied Tarnished Brass Distress Paint over the stencil using a piece of Cut 'n' Dry Foam,  to add random stars to the background.
I moved the stencil around my card until I was happy with the design and then dried the paint with a heat tool.
 I die cut the Retro Ornaments from mountboard and then painted each one with Vintage Photo Distress Paint and dried with a heat tool.
I added textured stars to each of the baubles using the Stars Layering Stencil and Texture Paste. Once the Paste was completely dry I then added Picket Fence Distress Paint to the edges of each of the baubles.
I also applied Treasure Gold Wax to the textured stars to add a touch more shimmer to my design along with delicate splatters of Tarnished Brass Paint. I also included Remnant Rubs for added interest.
I die cut two snowflakes from mountboard using the Tim Holtz Stacked Snowflakes Die applying a layer of Texture Paste to each snowflake and then allowing to dry completely. Each snowflake was then painted with Vintage Photo Distress Paint and the texture was highlighted with Treasure Gold Wax.
I applied Ground Espresso Distress Ink to the edges of the card for added definition.
I stamped the sentiment (from the Tim Holtz Simple Sayings stamp set) with Ground Espresso Distress Ink, applying the same ink to the edges of the sentiment. I also added splatters of Picket Fence Distress Paint to the background to lift the design. I then added the completed design to Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Metallic Collection card.
I would also like to link this to the Emerald Creek Dares Challenge which this time around is "show us all your holiday creations"

Thanks so much for stopping by. Tracy x x x
     
    

21 comments:

A Pink said...

A really lovely Christmas card! Tracy. Wonderful vintage colours enhanced with just the right amount of opulence . Love those textured snowflakes . Great layout too x

Annie said...

I love your vintage card Tracy and the fabulous background is amazing...must try this technique out.
The baubles and start really add amazing details and texture.

Huge hugs Annie xx

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful neutral colors on this Tracy with wonderful texture with your layers and paste! What a lovely background you created for these pretty snowflakes and ornaments! Julia xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Just stunning Tracy, brilliant card in those lovely vintage colours! I adore the added texture on the stars and snowflakes. I bet it looks even better in real life! Brilliant step by step too!

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous textured vintage card for Christmas Tracy. I love the colour combination and can almost feel those gorgeous snowflakes. I bet you made a few of these for sending out.
Have a great weekend.
hugs Brenda xxx

Redanne said...

I love your gorgeous textured, vintage card Tracy! The brayered background you created is beautiful and those textured baubles look stunning on top. Great step by step too! Hugs, Anne xx

hazel said...

A beautiful vintage Christmas card.
xxx Hazel.

Jennie Atkinson said...

Such a gorgeous vintage card Tracey - I love the colour combinations (always my favourite!) and the texture on the stars and baubles. Wonderful! Jennie x

Words and Pictures said...

I love neutrals for Christmas and the metallic paint adds a lovely festive sheen. The stars draw your eye around beautifully and the white words look great. A really lovely card!
Alison xx

Pamellia said...

Gorgeous Tracy!! I love all the neutrals, really works perfectly for that vintage feel and I really love how you staggered the ornaments and slightly overlapped them creating a wonderful sense of depth! A stunning holiday card! hugs :)

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous tag! LOVE the gold and vintage tones, and the ornaments are wonderful!

Candy C said...

This is such a lovely Christmas card Tracy. I love your greens and browns for this. That says a lot coming from a traditional red and green Christmas girl! Ha ha Your tutorial is excellent and you've done a gorgeous job with all of your layers on this Christmas treat.

Deb said...

Tracy, what a gorgeous card! Love the combination of Vintage Photo and Tarnished Brass, such a wonderful vintage colour palette, and your background and layered textures add so much interest and depth. Thanks so much for sharing it with us, Deb xo

S@ndy Diller said...

Such a beautiful card, thanks for taking us on the steps through it.
I love the muted colors and the two simple words that say it all.
S@ndy xx

G Peplow said...

Lovely work Tracy, all that texture and stars, fabby :D x

Terry said...

Wonderful vintage Christmas card, Tracy! I just love that background!

Jenny Marples said...

Subtle, beautiful design with non-traditional colours and such clever layering ideas Tracy. LOVE it! Jenny x

Claudia N. said...

Love the colour scheme you used, Tracy,

and especially the fact that it is rather reduced so the focus gets drawn to all the fantastic texture you have created! Brilliantly done!

Thank you for sharing your beautiful card with us at Emerald Creek Dares!

Claudia xxx

Karon said...

Beautiful card and love the texture. Thanks for joining us for our Festive Emerald Creek Dares Challenge

Karon DT

Lynn Stevens said...

Ohhh so Yummy!
HUGS lYNN

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous tracy! So much inspiration happening here on your blog!